Saturday, November 06, 2004

MY TV IS SILENT
I wrote this poem between ten and midnight on November lst. I had turned off my TV earlier in the evening, just kept the house silent while I checked out my email, answered some, worked on the poem, and I sent it out to about 40 people around midnight. I simply avoided checking any Blogs that might contain the news about what was going on.

My sons would call, I felt, if anything startling happened, but I figured that they'd not call until there was a definite win for one side or the other. I awoke after nine (sacked in at three a.m.; it had beem raining all day) and waited until almost eleven and then put in a call to Jeff. He would give me the most direct read, short and analyzed in a few words, but he wasn't in. Okay, Howard's cell phone, and he answered before I could say a word, "Dad, it's a beautiful day." I looked out the window to see bright sunshine and fleecy white clouds in a blue sky. Indeed it was!

I don't crow over a win. Ever. The other guys are sore enough. But, I hate all this crazy stuff about 68 million stupid people. Why are the Conservatives always the dumb ones or the ones full of hate, when all the time I read the diatribes by Liberals, outright venom, while the more reasoned words seem to come from the Republican side of the bench? Anyway, here's the poem I sent out, with a bit of a change at the end. I think that everyone should adopt this attitude.


MY TV IS SILENT
by HOWARD E. MORSEBURG

I'm sitting here and just typing away,
I've had my TV off for the whole damned day.
I'm so tired of all the analysts
I'd rather have suffered a butt full of cysts!
They guess, they predict, they pontificate,
While I sit quietly and gesticulate,
The middle finger sticks out from my right hand,
My opinion's quite clear, y'all understand.
Not a thing they can say can change what's done;
When the votes are counted, we'll know who won.
When the voting's over, the winner named,
If we've lost…I won't claim that I've been gamed.
For four years that man is our President,
Them's the rules of the game, that's the intent.
We've all lost before and it ain't no sin;
We'll work harder the next time, then we'll WIN.

copyright 2004 Howard E. Morseburg

www.howardsviews.com

Back in the l930s, my Dad was not a Democrat. All around us, the Democrats controlled the political process, and the corruption was rampant, and he was against that. Then, in 1936 and 1940, FDR was elected again, but Dad could see war clouds on the horizon, and with sons approaching the Draft age, he felt that FDR was too close to getting us involved. However, once we were in the war, we were all in it together and 16 million men and women went to war, together. To talk otherwise was to betray those who were in the Front Lines.








Click Here


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home